Monday, January 10, 2011

More about how I want to simplify my life

Isn't life a little better when you slow down and laugh?
Katelin laughing with her cousin Dallin.

I have never really believed in New Year's Resolutions. My personal resolution is too weak or forgetful or something to really make just one goal for an entire year. But I do believe that people can change, that maybe even I can change.

So, last week I bought a white board. After weddings and trips home and Christmas celebrations it was time to get going on the long list of action items that have been plaguing our family for the last month.

Everything we have to do goes on that board in one of four sections (essential, necessary, nice and today), and each day I choose 3-4 items that I can realistically accomplish in one day. Trevor is doing it with me.

The truth is, in the midst of taking care of three kids, I can't really do all that much. But at the end of each day, I erase a few items, I acknowledge that I've fed my family three meals (usually with help from Trevor), I've kept the house from exploding, I've laughed with my kids, and after remembering all of that, I relax. I don't have to worry about the twenty other things that are still on that list.

There is a nice middle-ground somewhere out there where you are both content with yourself but also working towards improvement. I'm looking for that middle ground, and in searching I'm going to give New Year's Resolutions another chance.

Because I really really want to change. I want my life to feel slower, simpler. I'm going to start with my white board. I'll work on it this month and by the end of January, who knows, maybe my life will feel a little bit slower.

No comments: