Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Little Perspective Please

+
Spoiled?

Last night when all was quiet (at least momentarily), I sat down and started reading How to Raise a Happy Unspoiled Child, because, this may come as a shock to you but, I think my kids are spoiled.

After reading, then skimming, then flipping through 70 pages, I learned that it is basically too late for Katelin and almost too late for Seth to develop into extraordinary and unselfish children (thought there might be hope for Lina).

I put the book down feeling less than adequate to say the least, and started thinking of all the things I should be doing as a mother, a wife and a person in general and I went to bed feeling rather overwhelmed. When I woke this morning I sat on the patio with scriptures and some deep breathing just trying to get perspective.

Then I went about my morning - shoulders and arms, towels, dishwasher, toilets, kids' jobs, nursing, a screaming baby, guess which bowl the toddler wants (while baby is crying), sneak in a shower, etc.

I wish I could say that I got caught up being happy about the work of the day, and my kids did something super cute, and it reminded me how great it is to be a mother and that I am doing an okay job.

But the truth is, the couch cushions are all over the floor, Lina is crying, Seth is up and out of bed (without his afternoon nap) Katelin is bored, and I am still trying to find a little perspective. The perspective that allows you to see a special hut on the floor, instead of a pile of couch cushions. To do that I have to stop, let go of some of my to-do list and just be with my kids. To take time to see them and to notice the wonder of every day. Which means, that now is the time for me to detach from the computer and tune back in to the beauty that is my life.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great post! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this happens too. It seems like every morning I dream of starting anew and getting things "right" and by the end of dinner I'm just struggling to keep my mind until after kids' bedtime! But, once they are asleep I always look back and think the day was special in some way or another.