Monday, February 28, 2011

Change


It is time for change.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a parenting class. The teacher, a man with ADHD, remembered his experiences in elementary school -- unable to pay attention as he sat in a desk looking longingly out the window. He said he couldn't do it; he just knew "there was life out there."

I could imagine that boy longing to be outside - running, laughing, and playing- and in a way, I can relate to him. Sometimes I get so busy with the business of life, I forget to live it. I know there is life out there beyond the doctors appointments and piles of laundry. I also know that while laundry and appointments are important, that isn't what really matters.

It isn't to say I don't have a good life. I have so much.

Sooooooooo much.

I just long for more of the experiences that should be my own - more afternoons laughing with my kids, more quiet moments to ponder and reflect, more nights sitting on the patio with Trevor... more of my life.

I don't want to feel like life is passing me by and I am missing out on some of those moments.

So, in attempt to capture those moments, I'm going to simplify. It might get crazy. It might get ugly. It might even get painful, but I am committed. I've been working at this for a while now, but haven't ever really gotten past the first round of decluttering. This time I am in for the long haul. I have my white board. Trevor is on board. And I am ready.

If you'd like to follow me on this journey, I would be honored. I think it's going to be a bumpy, but worthwhile ride
.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I could use some inspiration in the same area! I look forward to seeing you post along the journey.

Heidi said...

I love the name! Very fitting.

Lisa said...

Inspire me. I long for the same things.

Amy P said...

I want to follow it and quite possibly do something too. Can you share what you're doing? I could really use the positive example.

And good luck!!!

Deborah said...

The idea of simplying one's life is inspiring and something I feel the need to do as well. I am looking forward to walking this journey with you. Thanks for your honest sharing.

Kellie said...

Thanks for all of the nice comments... Amy, I will definitely be sharing what I am doing, but only if you share any good ideas you might have as well. I need all the help I can get.

Deborah, I was thinking of you the other day and your simple way of life (like the sewn Christmas bags you reuse each year). I'd love to hear anything your family is doing to keep things simple.