Monday, November 8, 2010

Chores and Sandwiches


Katelin picks some flowers at Sweet Berry Farm. This girl is usually willing to help out.

Inspired by this blog we have started initiating the chore bucket into our daily routine. Seth is delighted to clean up Lina's toys and rattles off of the floor, but when Katelin is assigned to fold and put away the blankets or stuffed animals, I meet resistance. Katelin does not like to be told what to do. She gets it from her mother. So this morning, when she told me she was NOT interested in clearing the dishes from the table, I knew there was no point in arguing. I told her to sit on the couch until she was ready to help.

A few minutes later a grumbling, but compliant Katelin showed up and helped me put dishes in the dishwasher. This was not what I had anticipated when I made the chore bucket. I was frustrated and wondered - Why won't she just help?

Anyway, the day went by... laundry, errands, an hour at play group and we were back home. I had three hungry kids, and Lina wouldn't wait. As I slipped away to nurse, Katelin, carrying a can of tuna asked, "Could I make tuna sandwiches?"

I quickly opened the can and pulled down the bread. Katelin pulled a chair to the countertop and went to work cutting off crusts, making peanut butter and honey for a brother who today "doesn't like tuna fish", and even cutting sandwiches into triangles.

When I sat down to the table, I was presented with a beautiful tuna sandwich. Seth was already chomping away. Katelin sat down next to me, beaming with pride. I smiled back, proud and grateful, and a bit less worried about the chore bucket.

No comments: