Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Can Do Hard Things.

One hard thing Katelin has mastered.

While living in Chicago, Trevor and I talked often about the people at AIU (Trevor's former employer) who worked from home, but traveled OFTEN -- and by often, I mean pretty much all the time visiting universities and promoting AIU's study abroad program.

"That would be soooo hard," I said. "You would be great at that type of job, but we could never do it with all of the travel."

Three years later, here we are. The four of us share our two-bedroom, 1040 square foot apartment day and night when Trevor is working from home. Trevor leaves us for days at time. I stay home with the kids alone.... for days at a time. We're doing it.

The other day after dropping Trevor at the airport (a regular event at our home), I thought, This isn't even weird anymore. I'm used to it. And so we come full circle. It looked hard. It was hard. But it isn't quite so hard anymore.

We grow into our circumstances. We pick up the load that is ours and while it might feel heavy for a while, after carrying it we get stronger and the load feels easier. And in the end, it's nice to know that we CAN do hard things. We can face illness, tragedy, heartaches. We can discipline our kids, wake up all hours of the night, and love them even when we don't feel like it. We can move away from home, go to grad school, and exercise. We can get organized, bill our clients, quit our job, recover from an accident, eat healthy foods, lose extra pounds. We can quit our bad habits, love the unloveable, forgive, and find the best part of ourselves. Sometimes it is just good to know you can. Our Father in Heaven knows it, and He often lets us learn it for ourselves.

4 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

That is so true. I've done a lot of things I never thought I could do. We're stronger than we think, aren't we?

Anonymous said...

Thanks sweetie. I your words were just what I needed

Anonymous said...

that was from me... your cousin Heidi

C Crane said...

What a great post. Your kids are so cute. Someday all our kids will be friends!