Saturday, August 11, 2012

Four months go by


I have been mute since April.... April which seems like four years ago, instead of four months. April before we partied with my new two-year old, before friends donated blood with us, before we had (pretend) tea, and dug up shells on the beach, and clapped when the whales jumped out of the water and drove 1500 miles to ride horses with Grandpa and eat ice cream with cousins. Yes, that was before kindergarten ended and concussions were had and heads stapled. I guess that for four months we have been piling up experiences - we have giggled and cried and had more than a few tantrums, and all of the sudden it is mid-August and summer isn't just ahead, but almost over. And while I am sick-to-death of Texas summer heat, I mourn the end of summer's late nights and schedule-less days, but mostly I mourn the hours that Katelin will soon be with Mrs. Somebody instead of home with us - eating popsicles, making trophies out of paper cups that say "#1 sister", selling lemonade, and playing pirates with Seth.

Katelin isn't too excited either, telling me, "I have a bad feeling about first grade." Even though I wanted to say, okay, stay home with me and be a pirate forever, I smiled and said, "It's gonna be great." I really hope those first-grade teachers don't make a liar out of me.

3 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

This makes me kind of sad, but thank you for your perspective. I've been toying with the idea of kindergarten instead of redshirting the girls. Clearly, there is no disadvantage to an extra year of playing (mermaids, in our case) or more time with mom and baby sis. Kids grow up entirely too fast.

This Idaho Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle W. Nate said...

Sounds like you have had an eventful summer. I am now on the other end of the perspective where all 3 of my children are in school full time. I agree with Christina...way too fast. On the other hand I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life.