Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Clutter


My house on a not-so-bad clutter day

It never ceases to amaze me how much better I feel after we clean up and put away all of the clutter in our house. This morning we worked on just that. Katelin & Seth were extra helpful, working especially hard to get all of their toys back in the right place in their bedroom. Clutter stresses me out. It robs me of my time because I am cleaning up the clutter or worrying about the clutter or just simply staring blankly at the clutter instead of just living. Working on simplifying our home and our clutter is something I am always working on.

But there is a lot of other clutter in my life that robs me of my time as well. Untimely phone calls, mindless browsing on the internet, or commitments I should have avoided. Sometimes even the good stuff, the stuff I want to do, can prevent me from doing the things that bring me the most joy - getting on the floor and playing with my kids, going outside for a short walk, reading a book just for fun.

I want to live a simpler life, to have less clutter in both areas of my life -- to make time to enjoy the people and places and moments that really do matter.



Getting my feet wet with the kids this summer. I want to do more of that...

Note: I'm still taking time on the patio, and I am on day 12. It's amazing how much better my day goes. I missed on Saturday and I noticed an increase in my stress levels. I've got to plan a bit better for weekends when I am out of my routine.

No comments: